Review by Nancy L Draper

Princess Mononoke 1997

Phew< A lot happens in this film. It has an epic scope: political strife, eco-messages, natural and human violence, romance, deception, misguided philanthropy. Where to begin? First, I'd issue a warning that about the violence, unfortunate word choices and uncomfortable life situations for consumption by young audiences. This was unexpected, so I spent quite a bit of time surreptitiously observing my 9 year old viewing companion for adverse reactions. We also had a good debriefing conversation on the way home from the movies. I feel confident that I did not return her to her parents scarred for life (once again >phew<). Apart from those concerns, both she and I really enjoyed the movie. The artwork was superb, the characters were well drawn, the action was fast paced, the suspense was compelling, the voice talent was superb. Truly, is there another studio that surpasses Ghibli in its field? I give the film an 8 (great) out of 10. (I will have to come back to this review with my young reviewers rating and reaction (our conversation never circle back to those basic conversational points we usually cover on the drive home, but, hopefully, we'll revisit those and share them here.) [Anime Adventure]

loading replies