Directed by none other than Garak, guest starring Virginia Madsen, and still we're left with this ruined orgasm of an episode? It's like the more you give these writers to work with, the less they seem to care about constructing a cohesive and relatable narrative! Granted the deck was stacked against them playing her opposite Chakotay, but there were hints of real chemistry there, it could've worked...

Honestly the part that really killed me was the exchange between Harry and Seven in the Astrometrics Lab about the purpose and potential rewards of pairing emotional intimacy with physical intimacy. Seven right now is a total sponge, eager to soak up and assimilate whatever she can about the human condition. The rather tangible but still very nebulous connection between them could've benefitted a great deal by Harry taking that opportunity to share with her some of his own experiences and the ways it's led him to want to manifest intimacies in his own life. But noooo, God forbid they even try to pull that off, easier to just keep everybody in their two-dimensional little boxes and go home early.

Voyager is the perfect example of why I detest almost all comedies, and they won't even try to be funny! How is it that every attempt at Star Trek after DS9 is so abysmal? And why do they suck so f'ing badly at casting them? I have this sneaking suspicion that if the right combination of executives at Paramount/CBS/Viacom boarded some flight that serendipitously crashed into the ocean we'd have another TNG or DS9-calibre show in production fairly quick. It's not a particularly complex formula needed for making good Star Trek, mostly it's just looking for the parts of life we tend to screw up most and not being afraid to examine why and what it'd take to start to do it better.

loading replies

1 reply

@roguescholar I don't remember the particulates of this episode but that last sentence of yours gets a standing ovation from me.