Well, we got one good storyline out of this. Coach taking Tami's advice to heart and making himself "indispensible" by getting through to primadonna Antwoine and persuading the NCAA infraction committee worked better than anything else in the episode. It showed what makes Coach great, and what his strengths are and how he can get through to young men in a way that some of the other college coaches can't. Antwoine was amusing and eventually convincingly contrite, and the way he shone a light on Coach feeling guilty about being away from his child even as he was doing his job and doing it well was nice.

The rest of the episode...eh

Julie continues to frustrate. While her initial bit about feeling trapped worked as a one-episode story, the fact that she cheats on and then breaks up with Matt rubbed me the wrong way. Teenagers are allowed to be stupid and thrown off by big changes in their life, it just doesn't necessarily make Julie very endearing. And hey, that's alright. I think that's what the show is going for--some understanding of where Julie is coming from, but a lot of frustration at her actions--it just isn't very pleasant to watch. The other problem is that while some allowances have to be made for the eight month gap since the end of season 1, last we saw Matt and Julie, they were together and happy, so while it's perfectly plausible that they'd have drifted apart in that time, we haven't actually witnessed it and that makes the disconnect somewhat jarring. There's not the connective tissue that would make this seem like an organic development.

And Tami's bit with Glenn was kind of strange. I get that she's postpartum and dealing with an absent husband, and unruly daughter, and a new baby, but it seems like the show is leaning hard into the loud emotional moments with Tami more than they were last season. Connie Britton's a pro and does her best to pull it off, but Glenn is an odd character who, like much of the new developments this season, doesn't exactly fit seamlessly into the established world of the show.

The same goes for the Sarocen's new live-in nurse. The "you have to change everything" new presence is yet another cliche. I'm hesitant about the development of this character as an inevitable love interest in the wake of Matt and Julie's break up. Again, feels like something shoehorned in rather than organic to the show.

And hey, the Tyra/Landry storyline is still kind of insane, but at least there are these really nice human moments within it. Tyra yelling at Landry to "be a man" after he's having trouble with what happened, and his ensuing declaration of love and her eventual acceptance of the idea that even if Landry doesn't fit the Tim Riggins mold that Tyra's used to, he may be something better, is a nice one. It's hard to parse out the quality interactions between Tyra and Landry in the midst of the Crime and Punishment routine the show's haphazardly pulling off here, but at least there's something good to come out of them.

And at the margins, Jason is going after a Mexican stem cell treamtent after some promising signs of returning feeling in his fingers. Buddy continues to find himself on the outs, and his drunken appearance at the pep rally is fairly trite stuff. And my god, do we really need to pair up Tim and Lyla again? I guess it keeps them quarantined from the better storylines and character, but good lord, that was dull enough the first time.

loading replies