Thus far, I've spent a lot of this show struggling to understand what people are saying and wondering what the point of a given scene is. I'm ready willing and able to accept the idea that maybe what the show is doing is over my head, but it's all a little dull to me so far. Again, Ian McShane owns every moment he's in, but whether it's a rival saloon moving into town, or the stilted dialogue of the Garrets, or the hotelman copping to giving the new operation in town the tip off, it all just seems like the wheels grinding steadily along without much point or purpose. As Mrs. Bloom pointed out, there's something to Wild Bill being jaded and over his own celebrity, to the point where playing cards is his only real distraction as Charlie tries to rouse him from his stupor with "The Hardware Boys." But really, it doesn't feel like we're moving toward much. Presumably there's some big conflict between Bullock, Swearingen, and Hickok to come, possibly involving Bullock avenging Garret, but thus far, it feels like a bunch of scenes stitched together without a lot of unity, depending on the quality texture of the show--the worn out sense of the setting and the lived-in feel of the bustling ecosystem--to carry things along. Well, the texture is all very nice, but I've yet to latch onto to any of the characters beyond Swearingen and to a lesser extent, Charlie and the doctor, and the plots have been equally uncompelling. I'm willing to give the show the benefit of the doubt and call it deliberately paced and doing some development of the situation before setting the fireworks off, but I can't say I'm really into it so far.

loading replies